Thursday, October 2, 2014

Gratitude Challenge – Day Three, Part Deux

2) I am grateful to be an American

Lee Greenwood sings a song about his pride in America, he says, “if tomorrow all the things were gone, I’d work for all my life and had to start again with just my children and my wife. I’d thank my lucky stars, to be living here today. ‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away. And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me and I would gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today ‘cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land. God bless the USA.”

I love driving down my street and seeing the flags wave in the breeze. It reminds me each and every day how truly grateful I am to be an American.
As I watch Scotland’s YES Campaign and Hong Kong’s desire for democracy, I am reminded how great it is to live in a country that is so passionate about their people and our freedom.

I truly believe we are better united than separate. And how glorious it is when Americans come together whether it be to fight or mourn or celebrate. We as a people are unstoppable when united with a noble goal.

I am appreciative of individuals who speak up for what they believe. Doesn’t matter what party, just matters that they are passionate enough about America to want to be the change.

When I have felt the leaders of our country have swayed too far left or right, I always find solace in the Declaration of Independence that binds us starting with “We the People”. I find joy in the Bill of Rights and the amendments that were added to prevent misuse of power.

I am thankful that I am living the American Dream where I can work hard and be rewarded.

I am in awe that America continues to be a melting pot where every person and each family can come and live and bring their unique viewpoints and traditions.

I could go on and on …. But I will end with my appreciation of those that serve or served in our armed forces. Their sacrifice for country is so selfless that it reinforces my love for this great country of ours.

No comments: