Thursday, September 3, 2026

When the Right Book Finds You

 I've been thinking about our conversation on Monday.

About the books.

Pour yourself another cup of coffee.

Let's talk for a minute.

This week I walked past my bookshelf looking for one specific title.

You know how that goes.

You reach for one book...

...and end up standing there reading the backs of six others.

I smiled because I realized something.

Most of those books have little sticky notes sticking out of them.

Highlighted pages.

Bent corners.

Coffee stains.

They're well-loved (whether or not Nicole agrees).

But not because I read them cover to cover in one sitting.

They're well-loved because they found me when I needed them.

Isn't that funny?

There are books I've owned for years that sat untouched on my shelf.

Then one day I picked one up...

...and it felt like the author had been waiting for me all along.

The words hadn't changed.

I had.

That's why I don't believe we simply choose books.

Sometimes books choose us.

As a coach, I see the same thing happen with people.

Someone recommends a book.

The person isn't interested.

Six months later they read the exact same book...

...and it changes everything.

Not because the book became better.

Because they became ready.

Life has a way of preparing us for certain lessons.

And when the timing is right...

Words we've skimmed before suddenly land differently.

A sentence becomes a mirror.

A chapter becomes permission.

A paragraph becomes hope.

I wonder if people are a little like that too.

Have you ever had a conversation that didn't seem particularly important at the time...

...only to remember it years later because suddenly it made perfect sense?

Maybe wisdom has seasons too.

Maybe we're not meant to understand everything the first time we hear it.

Maybe growth isn't just about learning something new.

Maybe it's becoming ready for truths that have been waiting for us all along.

Coffee Conversation

Before we finish our coffee together...

Can I leave you with one question?

What lesson have you been resisting...

...that you might finally be ready to receive?

Maybe the answer has been sitting on your bookshelf.

Or maybe it's been sitting quietly in your heart.

This Week's Reminder

The right words have a way of finding us when we're finally ready to hear them.

Until next time, keep leading with strength and living with purpose.

-srt

#ThursdayThoughts #Books #Leadership #PersonalGrowth #GrowthMindset #LiveWithPurpose #ReaCoachingAndConsulting

No comments: