Saturday, November 30, 2013

Vulnerability



Brené Brown has spent the past ten years studying vulnerability, courage, authenticity, and shame. The first five years of her study focused on shame and empathy. She is now taking that learning to explore a concept that she calls “wholeheartedness”.

Last year, a friend introduced me to a Ted Talk by researcher professor, Brené Brown. Upon recommendation, my friend told me to “move beyond the title” and just watch the video. That was when I knew I was in trouble. Yep, there was going to be a message for me within the video.

The title of the Ted Talk was “The Power of Vulnerability”. My thoughts went between “um, okay” to ““Really?” to “No chance in …” to “If I get a free moment.” But, I did watch the video and 20 minutes later I understood why she had recommended it to me.

Brown describes herself as a “researcher storyteller” who studies the human connection. In the Ted Talk, Brown talks about her “slugfest” with vulnerability and the journey to understand courage, authenticity and shame in a world that thrives on controlling and predicting. Brown says, “And now my mission to control and predict had turned up the answer that the way to live is with vulnerability and to stop controlling and predicting.” AHHHH! If you have seen my pantry, you know I enjoy a degree of control and predict … so letting go was CRAZY TALK! Or was it?

In our world that focuses on our imperfections, how does one find the courage to embrace vulnerability in order to find authenticity and worthiness? And, how do we build a culture of compassion to connect with others and share the message that we are all worthy. We all belong. And, we all deserve joy.

Now it is your turn.

Get beyond the title.

Watch the video.

There is a message within uniquely for you.

TED Talks: The Power of Vulnerability http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

No comments: