Thursday, February 20, 2014

Whatsapp Founder wanted A Job; Facebook Said No -- In A $3 Billion Mistake

Was commuting to work and reading Forbes when a headline caught my eye. Whatsapp Founder wanted A Job; Facebook Said No -- In A $3 Billion Mistake.

As occurs often in our technology-related jobs, by the time I got to work two or three team members had forwarded same article to me or to the team with varying comments -- but all recommended a read.

Having already read it, I decided to respond to the entire distribution list with the following:

I absolutely LOVE this story.

While I think Facebook and Twitter made a mistake, I don’t believe it was a mistake for Brian Acton. In fact, NOT being hired was probably the best thing to happen. Heck, without corporate boundaries, he was able to be create WhatsApp. Thank heavens he wasn’t hired!! If he had, would he be worth $3 billion today? Would we even know his name?

The bigger message in this story just feels good and is a good reminder:
• It’s not important how many times you are knocked down. It is important that you get up and continue forward.
• Do not get hung up by people or companies that don’t know your value. Know your personal value.
• Do not EVER be content with lack of leadership. Instead rise and be the leader you want to see in your workplace.
• And, always remember that investment in people wins in the end. One of these days, I will consolidate all of these "reminders" as I imagine I would have quite a list.

Happy Thursday all,
Stacy

No comments: