Monday, October 15, 2007

Wasps MIA in the Winter? by Brandon

I asked my mom today why you don't see wasps in winter. She replied in a matter-of-fact one, "Well Brandon, in winter it's too cold for wasps to make their nests. So, they hibernate."

Of course, I laughed because the thought of wasps hibernating was too funny. Afterall, bears hibernate. Not wasps.

She then turned and said, "Of course, some people believe that because it is so cold that they pick up their wasp families and homes and migrate to Argentina." She continued quite seriously, "In Argentina, they stay up all night dancing the salsa and drinking pitchers of Margeritas. After a few Margeritas, they land in the tourists salsa. Wasps don't make for a good ingredient for salsa, but it keeps them warm. Many a wasp has lost his/her life drowing in a good Argentinian salsa. That is why many Argentinian salsa producers have gone out of business. Yes, even many Mexican restaurants have been sued from serving wasp butts to their customers."

She cleared her throat and continued, "So, Brandon, there are two stories about wasps not being around in winter. Which do you believe is true?"

I looked at my mom speechless, because all I could think of was why would Mexican restaurants be serving Argentitian salsa? Next time, I go to Taco Bell, I would surely ask for the Argentinian salsa for my Nachos Bell Grande to look for wasp parts.....

<>

No comments: