Sunday, June 30, 2024

She believed she could, so she did.

It is with immense gratitude and profound honor that I stand before you today as the incoming president of this remarkable organization.

I have been blessed with amazing, loving parents, and for a moment I want to highlight my mother, Sandra Rea. Her constant support, belief, and advocacy in my life have been invaluable. In my youth, she would remind me that the three barriers to my success were Me, Myself, and I.

Through my travels, within my career, and mentoring through my place of work and Women in Technology, I've realized many women and girls do not have someone like my mother in their corner. Wherein lies our opportunity to serve.  This inspired our theme for the year: "She believed she could, so she did."

Growing up, our refrigerator displayed a quote from Henry Ford: “If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." This captures our theme, emphasizing the power of belief in unlocking our potential.

This simple yet powerful phrase, "She believed she could, so she did", embodies the spirit of Soroptimist. It speaks to the courage, determination, and belief that women around the world possess. It is this belief that drives countless women to overcome obstacles, break barriers, and achieve their dreams.

As Soroptimists, we are part of a global movement that empowers women and girls to reach their full potential. Our mission is to inspire confidence and self-belief. When a woman believes in herself, there is no limit to what she can achieve.

Over the years, I have witnessed the incredible impact of our programs. I've seen women gain the skills and resources they need to build better lives through the Live Your Dream Award. I've seen girls, who once doubted their worth, stand tall and proud, ready to take on the world through the Soroptimist Santa, Teen Esteem, and Dream It, Be It Program.

Today, as I step into the role of president, I am inspired by the stories of success and resilience that have brought us here. I am humbled by the tenacity of our charter members: Jean, Alysia, and Jerri, who 20 years ago saw a need to bring women together and made it happen. I am committed to continuing this legacy of empowerment so that even more women and girls can say, "I believed I could, so I did."

Our journey ahead is filled with opportunities. As someone deeply passionate about mental health and wellness, I recognize the growing prevalence of depression, anxiety disorders, and eating disorders, particularly those unique to women, such as depression during hormonal changes. It's a worthy cause and highly appropriate for the Presidential Passion Program to create safe spaces where these conversations can occur without stigma, allowing women and girls to thrive without fear or limitation.

However, we cannot achieve this alone.  We need the collective strength and support of our members, sponsors, and the entire Lincoln community.  Each one of us has a vital role to play in bringing this vision to life.  Let's draw inspiration from one another, celebrate our successes, and learn from our challenges.  Together, we can create a future where mental health and wellness are prioritized and everyone can flourish.  

Eleanor Roosevelt said, "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." As Soroptimists, we believe in the beauty of every woman's dream. We are here to nurture those dreams and turn them into reality.

Members, thank you for your advocacy, dedication, passion, and belief in our mission.

Together, we will continue to inspire, empower, and transform lives. 

Together, we will prove that when a woman believes she can, she truly can.

Thank you. 

///End

No comments: