Thursday, August 17, 2023

The Importance of Routine

Happy Thursday all,

Last week on Tuesday (8/15)  several of us celebrated India’s 77th Independence Day. 

A day of celebration, when legislative sovereignty was transferred from the UK to the Indian Constituent Assembly.  Three years later, the Constitution of India came into effect with its assurance of justice, equality, and liberty and endeavors to promote fraternity for all of its citizens.   

Happy Independence Day India! 

The Importance of a Morning Routine

Years ago, as a young mom, I started a “morning routine” as a way to be deliberate and build habits around movement, mind, and motivation, or the 3 M’s as I would reference them. 

Why are the 3 M’s important?

Morning Movement – Doing some warm-ups/workouts before you start your day has been shown to lower your body’s cortisol levels (stress hormones).   Yoga and walking are my go-to, but riding a bike (stationary or street) or other aerobics are great.  In addition to a sense of accomplishment, this will also reward you with a rush of endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine which are feel-good chemicals that also boost your mood!   

Exercising your Mind – Doing some brain puzzles/teasers in the morning stimulates your mind and can improve brain function according to reports.  I love doing hard Sudoku in the am and even attempt to beat my best time.  Wordle, Wordscapes, and Words with Friends are great games to get a mental workout. 

Motivating your Mind – Reading or listening to a book or podcast as I settle into my desk, makes me think.  Oftentimes, they motivate me to put into practice or even share with you.  Right now I am continuing to read 12 Rules for Life:  An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan Peterson which I started while on PTO.  Really easy read and very motivational.  Will share more when I finish.

Interestingly, on holiday, I am always able to do my morning routine.  

Every. Day. Without. Fail.  

Where I struggle is doing my morning routine Monday through Friday and I really don’t have a good excuse why.  Old habits sink in and I find myself at 4:30am going straight into work and emails versus investing an hour on self and the 3Ms.

So, returning from holiday, have made it a priority again.  Hoping repetition leads to habit-building.    Will let you know how it goes.

Make someone smile today, even if it is you. 

Cheers!

-srt

No comments: