Thursday, November 16, 2023

Learn and Grow

In 1962, my parents purchased a set of Britannica Great Books from a door-to-door salesman.  

It was a lot of money to spend in 1962 for a set of books when they had a new mouth to feed (my bro, Chris).  They believed that reading this set basically equaled a college-level education in literature. 

These books were always prominently displayed in our house and traveled with us as we moved from Oregon to Utah to Northern California to the Bay Area and back to Northern California.  

Throughout my childhood, I had used these books and respected the rules that came along with using them:

1) No dog ears (i.e. bending the top or bottom of any page

2) Absolutely no writing or highlighting in book 

3) Return them in the same condition you received them

I followed these rules diligently as, like many young children, I did not want to face the wrath of my father. 

I read Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Milton, Goethe, The Federalist Papers, and so many more. 

My dad had said one day they would be mine and at the time, I would nod okay.  At the time, I didn't understand the significance of the comment and gesture. 

This weekend my mom and I moved the set into my office, placing them one-by-one on the shelves.  Many have notes that I wrote and paper bookmarks from papers I wrote in college.  A few have paper bookmarks that only Mom or Dad could have put there.   So significant now that Dad isn't with us and I find myself reading those pages wondering if that is just where he stopped or if there was something on that page he wanted to be able to go back to.

With the move, I also was reminded of the story of how my parents acquired the set.  

I am inspired to remember that my parents modeled a learn-and-grow mentality always. 

Today, I am so grateful for that. 

Happy Thursday all,

-srt


No comments: