Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thoughts of My Dad

I hope everyone is enjoying the change in the weather. I was delighted to see our turtle, Squirtle, and bullfrog, Stump VIII, reemerge and be enjoying the pond.  And, the spring flowers are all blooming so my yard is full of daffodils, irises, freesia and tulips.

I would not be truthful if I did not share that my thoughts today are on my father.  In fact, it has been rough getting him out of my thoughts each and every day.  Because he is on my mind, I thought I would share two things with you all today.  The first, a poem he wrote entitled WIT and the second a photo collage. 

WIT by H. Larry Rea

I only hope when I’ve lost all and memories can’t be recalled
When flesh falls loose and ears grow hair and the top of head goes bald
When eyes see only distant blurs and you are so senile you can spit
I dearly want, Oh please don’t take away my Irish wit.

When tensions grip is loosed by white and yellow pills
White pleated cups filled with amber dew chase away all ills
When drippy tubes intravene and hypo’s come in kits
Let me laugh, yes roar out loud.  Oh please leave me my wit.

When diapers drape my bony hide and my tee shirt looks like a gown
When shirt arm holes disappear and me shorts are upside down
When eyebrows leap from my brow like weeks with no attend
Allow me to laugh at the irony that my legs won’t bend.

Let me cackle at toes that I couldn’t touch with a shepherd’s cane
And hair that holds it curl no more, but hangs like Shetland mane
Let me laugh and see the funny side of growing old and feeble
One last time, for Auld Lang Syne, I’ll joke for all the people.

And, when the final day had come and they carry me away
To some small church by Oceanside with a name like Depoe Bay
And when the last eulogy cries out that my like was too short
Let them hear from faraway one last, long, cackling retort.
 

With his memorial on March 13, we have been going through albums and I found the following photos of him that I just love.  

Top Row:  Dad’s Promotion, Dad and Mom in 1969, Dad and Mom in 2019
Middle Row:  Me and my Dad
Bottom Row:  Dad and Mom at Brandon’s Swim meet (where he broke the district record), with Devon at his graduation, with Justin as his graduation.
I am truly appreciative to each of you for covering during my bereavement and for sending me such lovely thoughts and funny memes. 
Happy Thursday all,

srt

No comments: