Monday, October 18, 2010

We tried that before, it will never work.

In assisting a Twitter connection get beyond a work obstacle where a colleague continues to say “we tried that before, it will never work.” Interestingly, in reading them and sending them off, I realized that the dialogue might be valuable to a broader audience as well.

I share with you a slightly abridged copy of the email I sent him:

Goodness, I have both been a victim of the line….but also embarrassed to admit that I probably have used the line once or twice. I have been very aware this past year of not saying “no, can’t be done”, but in asking “why?” to understand and then trying to come back with “how would we do it?” for win/win.

But back to your question of what do I do when someone says, “we tried that before, it will never work.” Simply, I am driven to prove that it will work. Not to prove the other wrong, but heck a challenge is a challenge. How do I do prove something will work? I begin to ask questions to learn why the naysayer believes it can’t work. I then try to use the stool (people – process – technology) and the inevitable truth in CHANGE to build the case of why it might work now and what it will take to change the “might” to “will”. A few times, I have found out through this approach that it really won’t work. Ackward? No. And I do thank the naysayer for helping me draw this conclusion.

Now, some of the naysayers are “all knowing” and I believe their egos won’t allow even logic to break down their resolve. This isn’t a bad thing, I have learned a great deal from people who dig their heels in deep and am appreciative. But, in those cases, I take conversations off line and slowing begin to chip away at the wall of “it will never work” by painting a picture of why it should work and how we (not I) will help the company (not me) if we worked together to make “it” a reality. If you paint the shared value proposition, it is hard for the naysayer to shoot it down (note: I didn’t say impossible, because I have seen all types. But believe that everyone is inherently good inside and wants to do the right thing for themselves and for the company).

Today, with my kids coughing, sneezing and covered with phlegm, I was able to do some reading and did search the web for articles for how to deal with naysayers and obstructionists. In my search, I came across these two Harvard Business Review article. Extremely timely as one was published last Thursday and the other in September.

Rule #1: You must never get sucked into the black hole of "what happened 5 years ago." Read how not to here:
http://blogs.hbr.org/kotter/2010/10/getting-past-the-but-we-alread.html
My Margin Note: Are there items that you have put on the table and received a no because we have tried it before? If you are convicted, try – try again. Send them back to the naysayer for reconsideration and ask for counsel from your manager.

Rule #2: Understand the unfair attack strategies that naysayers and obfuscators deploy to derail you. Read about inviting them here:
http://blogs.hbr.org/kotter/2010/09/need-buy-in-invite-the-lions-i.html
My Margin Note: Are you struggling with naysayers? When in doubt, escalate. You don’t need to struggle alone and certainly hitting the brick wall over and over again will only frustrate you (as well as leave you bloodied). When struggling with naysayers – don’t go sideways to peers, but up to your management for another perspective. While peers can offer great feedback and new plans of attack, it might also lead to venting and triangulation which will kill your credibility and potentially lead you down another rabbit hole. Go instead UP, but be ready to clearly present your struggle without finger pointing and with a focus on resolve for execution. Is your management not a good fit? Then go to an internal mentor to bounce concept off of. As long as the person is UP and able to assist in pushing idea forward or clearly communicating why the idea might not work.

Hope this helps you navigate through what feels like are some shark infested political waters. If you would like to chat IM me and we can schedule some time during soccer this weekend.

No comments: